Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hand Percussion for the Holidays?




I've noticed a trend the past few days in the shop, and it has to do with, strangely enough, hand percussion.

It seems, to me, that hand percussion is the gift for drummer's when a sibling, parent, significant other, or close friend wants to pick something up that isn't going to break the bank, but will still be used by the drummer close to their heart.

I've lost count of how many times, in the past two weeks I've heard "I don't play music but my brother plays drums, he's away at college so I thought I'd get him some bongos."

Now don't get me wrong, Bongo drums can be awesome, but the way people freak out when they see all the hand percussion stuff that is available AND affordable it's unbelievable.

I myself have been a strick "DRUM KIT" player since I was young, but seeing some of the Cajons and Bongo Cajons that a few companies are making have really prompted me to look into picking up some alternate percussion items. If not for using in my set, just for having around the house! THESE THINGS LOOK LIKE FURNITURE!

I've pictured two Djembes, a set of the Meinl Headliner Bongo drums, and a Meinl Cajon. (The Cajon looks like the rectangular stool). Prices vary on this stuff but the point is, it's all portable, it's all percussion, it can be played on it's own, with a set, in a recording setting, wherever, even just on the front porch.

This stuff is so light weight you can take it camping, it's awesome for kids and adults.

You can see a full range of hand percussion equipment on Meinl Site .

The world of percussion is so vast and goes so far beyond what you see in Green Day videos, nothing aginst Green Day, it's just so amazing. All the time I thought guitar players had it good with all of their effects pedals, but by far, hand percussion options outweigh distortion pedal variations, and none of the hand percussion requires batteries or electricity!!!!

No comments: